Friday, October 22, 2010

mismash: october

I have been having a very terrible, no-good, oh-poor-me two weeks.

People have turned out to be selfish, inconsiderate, and flat-out rude, and I don't take too kindly to being treated so poorly. Rejection sucks, yes, and I've been throwing myself plenty of pity parties, but I need to be a big girl and move the hell on. I'm not great at endings. I guess I'll just have to get better.

Work has slowed down considerably since picture day season is officially over (boo), and I'm quite bored (not to mention purposeless-feeling). I'm already fighting off the wintertime blues, and it's only October (and lately the weather has been so bi-polar and consequently so have i rings too true).

Sooooo today I ordered these earrings from this super adorable Etsy shop to cheer myself up.


Seeing as how I've had all this free time, I've finally been able to finish up a few books I'd been working my way through. For the record, Nabokov's Lolita is a. slow, b. longgg, and c. one of the creepiest, most uncomfortable books ever. I'd heard people and my professors make references to this novel for years, so I finally bought it and thought I'd give it a go. In a nutshell, it's the story of (and narrated by) an imprisoned child molester who had fallen in love with his landlady's twelve-year old daughter, etc. It's so awkward and I keep accidentally bringing it with me to middle school sports shoots. That's not okay.

I did, however, recently finish an incredible book called Thin is the New Happy by Valerie Frankel.

Amazing.


I know it sounds silly and cliche, but this memoir has literally changed my life. Val had spent her entire life (since she was 11!) as a chronic-dieter, completely obsessed with her weight and suffering from bad body image issues (story of my life). Anyway, she decides to give up dieting and decides to deal with her emotional baggage, confront the demons in her past, eat when hungry, stop when full, and simply work out to remain healthy instead of focusing on dropping a dress size. Ummm...totally inspiring. And, okay, those may seem like the most obvious things in the world to do, but something about this book and her words clicked with me and changed the way I look at myself. I'm psyched to be on day 4 in a row of working out simply because of the good I know it'll bring to the one body (and mind!) I'm ever going to get. Val, I repeat, you're an inspiration.

I'm not even kidding, read this book.

Now that it's (already) Friday (afternoon), I'm (begrudgingly) off to tackle production and shipping (ie. the parts I don't enjoy about my job...I would much rather be out at shoots all day). But here's to a happy weekend?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...