Saturday, April 2, 2011

one year or two? it's hard to say, but i love you.

Happy anniversary to myself and one helluva guy, Mitchell S. Baker.




I'm not totally sure how many years we're celebrating today since it took us (read: me) a year to settle down, but meh, who's counting anyway? The point is April 2nd is a pretty special day. It was April 2nd of 2009 that we went to a Rangers Game together and hung out for the first time since meeting at that party, and it was on April 2, 2010, at the Deep Ellum Arts festival in Dallas that you asked me to be your girlfriend and I finally said yes, giving in and acknowledging everything that had already been going on for over a year. My b.

Mitch, I love you. And not just because we do fun things like take roadtrips to New Orleans or assert our dominance as Best Couple at other people's weddings, but also in spite of things like being younger than me and occasionally dressing like a lesbian. You're kind, funny, and hard working, and even though you looked like this in high school, you've somehow managed to blossom into a total stud (and you're even studlier now that you have a sweet beard).

To quote something I wrote last summer (that still rings true and is almost too sickeningly sweet):

Mitchell, this has not been the easiest year and some odd months. In particular the last couple weeks have been trying, and you have, through it all, been steadfast. I love that you cry just as much as I do even though I tease you mercilessly for it. I love your beard and your blue eyes and your Finley nose. I love your laugh. I love how excited Clark gets when she sees you. I love the way you dance, in the car and anywhere else. You are the true definition of an optimist. You have the sunniest, happiest personality, and everyone who meets you falls instantly under a spell you don't even realize you're casting.

You remind me that I don't have to do it all alone and that I don't always have to be in control. You work alongside me because you want to, not because you have to. My parents and friends love you possibly even more than I do. I love that sometimes you get so excited for me to visit that you even vacuum. I love you for coaching tennis for six-year olds. I love your friends. I even love your mother. I love your desire to work hard. You are ambitious in your own right, tackling endeavour after endeavour with too much humility to ever brag. I'm proud of you for starting the club team and then your own business. I'm proud of you for paying your way through school. I'm proud of you for keeping your closet clean after you let me organize it. And, Mitch, I'm not sorry it took us a year to settle down. I love our story exactly the way it is. I love the way we've turned out and I love us.

You are all of our good and I am all of our bad, I know, but thank you for loving me all the same.



Happy anniversary. :)

5 comments:

Hannah Lesley said...

I love this. The two of you should just drive up to Denver for a little vaca. Mr. Lesley and I would show you a good time, I promise!

Unknown said...

So cute! Happy anniversary!

Laura Darling said...

I'm so happy to see this! Happy Anniversary!

Anonymous said...

Yay! Thanks for all the well wishes, y'all! And Laura, meeeeeeeee tooooooooooo. :)

PS: Hannah, do not tempt me with the idea of a roadtrip to Colorado because...I'll totally do it. I'm seriousssssss. Come summer, sweet friend, we just may need to set this up!

Emily {Isnt That Charming} said...

Too cute!! Happy Anniversary!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...