Friday, May 20, 2011

middle schoolers: they'll straight up hit on you

Today I hung out here:

pictured: your typical social studies classroom


It goes without saying that 8th graders are a handful. I've subbed for this age plenty of times (reluctantly, I admit) and they always offer such unique challenges, ie. if I turn around for even a minute, lo and behold I'll turn back around to find some class clown standing in the corner, taking his shirt off. Whaaat?

Uhhhhh...it was an accident. You're not going to tell my teacher, are you?

What do YOU think, big shot?

Ugh. Kids.

So it's safe to say I understand that kids this age are a bit crazy, always pushing the boundaries to see how much they can get away with or what it will take to shock me. And, all right, occasionally I've encountered a strange comment, but man oh man, nothing like 6th period today.

Sixth period came in loud, and I mean LOUD. I've raised my voice to classes before, busting out the stern, disappointed teacher voice nearly daily in order to regain control, but today I had to yell. Literally. SIT. DOWN. CLOSE YOUR MOUTHS. My words was ringing in my own ears from the volume, but it worked. They sat. They closed their mouths. And for the ten minutes that lapsed as I took roll and rattled off some basic annoucements, they were quiet, but as soon as I turned to walk from the podium, it began.

The roar.

The clamor.

Thirty middle schoolers talking talking talking all at once. It was enough to drive me out of my mind, but that wasn't my problem with today. My problem was the boys. For whatever reason, I have become attractive to tween boys? Cue confusion and vomiting. For forty-five minutes, it was a string of silly lines that went from funny to downright creepy after a kid asked me, Hey, Miss Townsend, you ever tried a fourteen year old before?

...

I was litearlly stunned. Usually when kids says silly, flirty things to me, I laugh them off and remind that I'm not only too old for them, but way out of their league. This was different. After that moment, I was just... Uncomfortable. I found myself in a moment where I felt lost, unsure of what to do next, something that has rarely happened to me in the classroom, thank God.

In order to play it off and not give him the reaction that he wanted (ie. any), I ignored the comment and went about my business. It's funny how such a small moment can change your whole mood. I felt on edge, and for the rest of the period, I didn't feel like myself. I felt like I should have done something more: had him sit out in the hall, written him up, sent him down to the principal's office. Something. But I didn't know what, so I let it go.

As class was wrapping up, another student, a sweet boy about thirteen, came up to me and asked, Miss Townsend, do you know karate? 'Cause your body is KICKIN'! I laughed becasue it was funny. It just was. And it reminded me that these are just kids. They have absolutely no idea what they're saying. Even though a small line was crossed today, I know there will be other moments like this in the future as students and I map out our boundaries. As a sub, I don't have the time to establish myself as anything more than a temporary figurehead, and while most of the time that's enough, I realize now that there will be days I'm tested, days kids will come at me from out of nowhere and I'll have to handle it, have to think on my feet and figure out the best course of action.

But that's kind of the great thing about substitue teaching: I'm never really sure what will happen next. Every day is a brand new adventure and while sometimes it's hard, it's always worthwhile. I've learned so much in the past four months, so much more than I ever though I could. And I'm grateful for that.

I'd still like a Big Girl Teaching job, though.

Anyone handing those out?

I'll be glad to tell you your body is kickin' in exchange.

8 comments:

Amanda said...

Ha! I was an ESL Teacher to 16-25 year olds... and man oh man were their minds dirty! I know how you feel! But I'm glad you didn't let it get to you. =)

xox

Heather said...

Kids that age are sooooo awkward! I don't know how I would've reacted either.

TriGirl said...

Well i might know of a part time speech pathology job...how does that rank my body?

Stacy said...

I feel so left out of blog-land since I've been so busy. But this. oh I am so happy I caught up. I laughed out loud. Kids that age are so strange. And I would have been stunned into silence also, haha.

Oh and your body is so totally kickin'. :D

Jenna said...

I cannot even imagine how difficult it must be to substitute for middle schoolers, but it sounds like you know how to handle yourself... I would probably fall to pieces after one period... and while I don't have any full-time teaching jobs to hand out - I'd totally give you one if I did!

xoxo
Jenna

Unknown said...

This is a story straight from my nightmares. That being said, when I was a camp counsellor for many, many, many years, the strangest thing I had a 14-year-old boy do was stick his hands down the back of his pants and then...wait for it...SMELL THEM. Oh, and then, he'd want a HUG. It was a long summer...

CarrieJo said...

hahaaa so true!

Hannah Lesley said...

Welcome to my life.

Middle school boys...they really aren't even human yet, in my opinion:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...