Tuesday, May 18, 2010

vito's ordination song, among other things

I think I'm (getting) sick.

It started when I woke up Sunday morning. Mitch and I both weren't feeling well, but we wrote it off as a very well-deserved hangover. But now it's Tuesday and, I have to say, I'm feeling about the same. Yesterday I did as much work as possible and left early to rest, ie. I "napped" from 3:45pm to 6:30 this morning. Holy hell. And how am I still tired...?

To be honest, though, I'm chronically fatigued. So far I've been managing by becoming increasingly dependent on energy drinks... Probably not the best idea. I need to visit my doctor and see what's up, but man, I hate shit like that. I just want to be healthy all the time. But, alas, it's only 8:30am and I can already feel myself fighting the urge to sleep. Goddamnit.

And listening to (completely fabulous) smooth, soothing songs like Vito's Ordination Song* by Sufjan Stevens isn't helping the matter.


...

I always knew you in your mother's arms
I have called your name
I have an idea, placed in your mind, to be a better man
I've made a crown for you
I've put it in your room
and when the bridegroom comes, there will be noise
there will be glad
and a perfect bed

when you write a poem, I know the words
I know the sounds before you write it down
when you wear your clothes, I wear them, too
I wear your shoes
and your jacket, too

I always knew you in your mother's arms
I have called you "son"
I've made amends between Father and son,
or if you haven't one...

rest in My arms
sleep in My bed
there's a design to what I did and said


*The acoustic version is also absolutely stunning.

1 comment:

Theodore Bentley said...

It's cool that you've posted this :)
Did you know that it's written from the perspective of God? I think that makes it all the more soothing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...