Thursday, February 3, 2011

a collection of facts & feelings: february

Sometimes there is nothing better than spending an evening lying in bed watching Friends re-runs on DVD.

Last week at my substitute teaching orientation, I won a raffle. I think that's probably my first time to win anything. Ever.

Also at last week's substitute teaching orientation, at one point our presenter said (for whatever reason), "what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas," and the woman next to me replied, That shit ain't true. I got a now six-year old from my last trip to Vegas. Shoot. Wow.

Having Yeah 3x as my ringtone hasn't diminished my love for that song, which has been a delightful surprise. It's pretty great.

I'm over snow days.

I don't even recognize you anymore, Dallas.


I got hit on at a high school today. Twice. And should I have corrected the young men, reprimanding them regarding the inappropriateness of speaking to a teacher in that manner? Probably. But did I? Absolutely not. I think I said thanks and winked. Who's inappropriate now? Oops.

Two of my closest friends both have birthdays next week and I couldn't be more excited. :) Yay February birthdays!

Living not at home (even temporarily) is strange and I hate how unstable my life feels as of late, but I have to admit there's something refreshing about moving out, even if it is only for a week. Or two. Or who knows. What a mess.

Sometimes I'm appalled by how unhealthily I eat. Embarrassing.

My biggest fears? Falling into insurmountable debt, being fat, and braving the deaths of the people I love most. Shudder.


Speaking of people I love the most, I had a startling, possibly terrible revelation the other day: I'm not a big family person. I suppose I should explain lest everyone start casting virtual stones, but I'm not really sure I understand it either. My familial relationships have been pretty transitive, with the exception of my mother and a few others. My parents split when I was five, I've had two step-dads since then, and my real father and I haven't spoken in nearly three years. Where's the connection, the bond? What's family about that?

My mother and I are in the middle of a battle. I'll give you that much. And she said something to me last weekend that I've been thinking about ever since: she said, You're not a part of this family. What she meant is that I don't act as I'm a part of our family. And you know what? She's probably right. I'm fairly independent (see: only child, raised by a single mother) and my familial life has been fairly inconsistent. I'm not pointing fingers and I don't blame anyone for that; it's just the way things are, have always been. And as a result I feel disconnected from the idea of family.

I love my parents and grandparents and aunt and uncles and cousins. I really do. And I'm not saying I don't feel close to or bonded with them. It's just that...there's something terrifyingly intimate about family and over the years I feel as if something inside me has shifted away from that intimacy. I want all those things; I want family and togetherness and unity, but, I'll just say it: I want it on my own terms.

How horrible does that make me?

I've been struggling a lot this week with those thoughts and revelations. Mitch and I had a big heart to heart the other night over it, and let me be clear: I can't wait to have a family with that man. I really can't, and nothing about that scares me. I suppose what I'm looking forward to the most about the life and family Mitch and I will one day create is that we'll get to do things our way, and hopefully we can avoid a lot of the mistakes our own parents and families have made.

I realize this has gotten a bit deep and jumbled, but my heart is heavy, my mind cluttered.

It's just strange to wake up one day and see yourself in such a new, unflattering light. And I'm not completely sure what to do with these thoughts. Do I fix them? How? Do I even want to?

See what I mean?

Mind = cluttered. Ugh.

And on that note, I know only God can bring clarity...but when?

11 comments:

Hannah Lesley said...

i think i may have a totally platonic blog crush on you...just sayin.

kendalmarie said...

I think we go to way too many similar things at similar times and we should probably hangout sometime. K great! :)

Adrian {Happy girl} said...

I so understand your feelings of being frightened of the intimacy of a family. I feel the same way, but mostly because I am so stinking different from all of them, and don't always agree with how they live their lives. Also, my extended family is loud and brash, it freaks me out, so I don't like hanging out with them all that much. Hang in there!

thobeka said...

I feel ya giiiirl! Take the good with the bad, and mush it all up into a ball of awesomeness :) Have a superb weekend!

Alex said...

It's like you're in my mind. I have a very similar view of family. I am not close to anyone really except my mom and dad. I don't speak to my real dad's family ever, save for one aunt. My mom's family is small and up there in age, so I've never had the typical big family with close cousins and adorable grandparents. Like you, I can't wait to have a family of my own on my own terms. You're not alone! :)

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

First off, I laughed...out loud...when I read the Vegas line! And again when you winked at the students.

It's funny becuase today I've come to the realization that I want to be super close with my family and it's just not going to happen that way. So we're the opposite in some ways. I try so hard to be around them and do everything with them but don't get the reciprocation that I want. So I am trying to step back.

It's funny how things work out...

Have a great weekend!!

Strugglecity said...

I've learned that family's what you make of it. The people you are close to and surround yourself with every day are family, at least that's what I believe. Sometimes you can choose your family (only as much as you can choose who you love though).
I keep trying to force my brother to have a better relationship with me, but I know deep down, that I can't. He's not a cat that I can force into loving me more.... haha
Oh family..

Unknown said...

I hope you know that I love you as a blog friend Andrea...that being said, you are whoever you are and nobody {including/especially your mother} can change that. I think you're really brave for putting all of this up for us to read, since most of us don't want to admit that one of our biggest fears in life might be to be fat or lose someone we love...it's so true though.

And keep watching Friends in bed. Definitely a legitimate pastime.

And yay for February birthdays {like mine}!!!

And...I love how you just suggested I move to Dallas, and then post about the snow. I don't like snow. This might be a problem.

Anyway, I hope you have a fabulous weekend, even with all of these things weighing on you.

xoxo,
Joelle

k said...

now that i read this, i don't think i'm a family person either! i kind of grew up the same way and my mom and i aren't that close, so yeah...no huge ties. except for my lovely grandparents :)

TriGirl said...

I was always the 'black sheep' in my family (read:weeeirdooo) and I live at the opposite end of the continent now. I never purposely planned to get away, life just happened that way. I'm sorry things are so strained with your mom right now. I hope you don't get too bogged down with things you can't change...

On a lighter note: The lady with the Vegas-created 6 year old? Pure gold!

Unknown said...

The Vegas Aside = hilarious.

I can totally empathize with the family situation. I've felt like a bit of a swan stuck in an extended family of ducks sometimes (note the role reversal *wink). Since I found my amazing hubby though, the idea of a close family is much more appealing, probably BECAUSE it's on my own terms. I say that it just makes you MORE AWESOME (and therefore, ME, more awesome...haha!!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...