Tuesday, March 8, 2011

definitely better than third grade, y'know, with all the politics and the mind games

Things I’ve Learned While Substitute Teaching: second graders are YOUNG.

Like, really really young, y’all. Did you know most of them are only seven? SEVEN YEARS OLD. Holy crap. They’re still babies. I don’t know why, but this absolutely blows my mind.

I think it’s pretty obvious that I recently subbed for a second grade class. Today, actually. And you know what? Seven-year olds are also LOUD. And crazy. And really into invading your personal space. All day long they’d come up to me and stroke my arms while talking to me, lean against me, sit on the ground and try to rest their heads in my lap, hold my hand in the hallways, walk with their arms around my waist, etc. I couldn’t stop thinking about how awkward it would be if adults were like that, especially if adults were like that with people they’d only know for about an hour.

Maybe I’ll try it out.

It was adorable, though. Today was honestly all about playing mommy as opposed to teacher. There were tantrums, tears, tattling, and one girl even punched another in the stomach. Dra-ma. And it was my job to step in talk them out of their tantrums, tell them to mind their own business, and wipe away any and all tears. As far as the girl who punched another, well, she and I had a lengthy talk which ended with her sobbing and rocking back & forth in my lap. Like I said, I was on mommy-duty. Challenging, exhausting…but nice.

After school, I came home with nineteen pictures and signs that the kids made for me. Most of them talk about how much I rock (it’s true, I do), but I particularly liked the one depicting a helicopter launching missiles. He even took the time to color the helicopter to look like it was camouflaged. Stellar work, kid.

Oh, wait, I also liked the one where a girl wrote, “i love miss tea.”

Tea. T. Ha.

The one on top really captures my essence. But no, I wasn't wearing pigtails today.


Throughout this whole job application process (wherein I apply to about a thousand school districts and pray to God someone, somewhere decides to take a chance on me), I’ve wondered what grade is right for me. High school is obviously out since most of those kids are total bastards. Plus, walking into a high school makes me feel as weird and anxious as it did when I was sixteen and, no thanks, I don’t want to relive that hell everyday.

Sidenote: I was so beyond uptight and awkward in high school, y’all. Like…terribly. It’s almost painful for me to look back at the person I was at seventeen, even though my mother says I need to cut myself some slack. Oh, I also didn’t grow out of my ugly, I-don’t-know-how-to-put-on-make-up-or-do-my-hair-without-looking-like-either-a-tranny-or-a-hot-mess phase until I was twenty-one…and by twenty-one I, of course, mean twenty-four which in turn means I’m actually still growing out of it. Neat-o.

End sidenote.

Anyway, the point is I wasn’t sure what age group would be my best fit as a teacher. It’s hard to know something like that with no classroom experience. I still really feel like my heart lies in the 5th and 6th grades (ie. old enough to have personalities and get most of my jokes, but young enough to still be sweet and think I’m cool), but after today, I don’t think I’d mind rocking it in the lower elementary. Maybe.

Who knows.

PS: Today I also learned that I have no idea what second graders are supposed to know by this age. Like, are they supposed to understand subtraction? Because it took a kid roughly ninety seconds to answer me when I asked him what ten minus one was. Not kidding. Also, spelling? Do they know how to do it? I saw a girl write the sentence, “i cant wate to go to mitold skoole.” PAINFUL. Or normal?

16 comments:

danielle @ take heart said...

i bet you were wearing pigtails.

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

Oh my gosh, I always wonder what kids know at what age too! Like, have they learned cursive? Wait, do they even teach cursive anymore???

Mckenzie Jean said...

"I couldn’t stop thinking about how awkward it would be if adults were like that, especially if adults were like that with people they’d only know for about an hour."

Hahaha, I loved that.

also, I feel the same way walking into a high school!! I didn't think twice about it when I went, but now its like, 100% intimidation and being fearful of my life (I'm not sure why, I'm sure those kids don't carry shanks with them or anything. but hey, you never know. I also have no Idea if I used the word "Shank" right, I just heard it on a prison show.). anyways, that was a long parenthesis.

Adrian {Happy girl} said...

Love those second graders! They are young, but super sweet :) Gotta say, I've been lurking around your blog for awhile now, and I love it! I gave you a blog award over here http://happygirlsareprettygirls.blogspot.com/2011/03/versatile-blogger-award.html

Laura Darling said...

Hahahaha. This is hilarious. I have no idea what kids are supposed to know at what age either. The other night I babysat and one of the kids was 18 months old and I was totally expecting him to be able to communicate with my in full sentences. He didn't say one real word. I am a girl who likes to have a CONVERSATION so it was a little one sided and sometimes I just wanted to scream "SAY SOMETHING" but I controlled myself.

Love Miss TEA. Too funny.

Anonymous said...

duuuuude. you and i had the same teenagehood. including our early twenties.

ps. definitely blog about what it's like to act like a space-invading second grader for a day, k?

MA said...

gotta say - i spelled like CRAP when i was 7. my school was focused on "content" not "spelling" and so when we moved to a new town as i entered 6th grade, i had an immensely tough time spelling shit.

anyway, this sounds adorable, and like you did a great job!!

Unknown said...

You're SO Gwyenth's character in Glee! I keep waiting for you to talk about your impromptu musical numbers that are filled with slightly inappropriate content for children. ;) Soooooo, get on it, will ya?
Also, I've had a LOT of spare time this week and created a blog award...and...am giving it to YOU (but you have to head over to mine to collect it. Is there a way to leave buttons in the comment section?)
Happy weekend!!

Emily {Isnt That Charming} said...

Nothing wrong with pigtails!! :P

Found you on {Where We Love} Happy Hour - Hilarious post! Sounds like you handle managing the little guys really well, I don't know if I would have the patience!!

Betty said...

I found my way over here from {Where We Love} Happy Hour and had to hit follow! Love your blog and can't wait to read more!

Kami said...

Kindergarten is fun, and you'd get nap time! LOL!

Kaitlin Godfrey said...

I came across your blog on Happy Hour at Where We Love.

Teaching is such a gift! And those 2nd graders sound adorable..but seriously, what are they suppose to know already? AND are they still learning cursive in 3rd grade? I am thinking it is quite pointless these days...

http://bradandkaitlin.blogspot.com

Duff said...

So... some adults definitely are like that. In my grad program, we have clinical, counseling and school psychology people.

All of the school psych people work with little ones all day and they are SUPER touchy-feely. Personal space is about |--| that big to them and there is frequent arm caressing and things like that. Pretty funny. I think they just so used to interacting with little kiddos that they forget that's not how the entire world operates!

Hannah Lesley said...

6th graders are pretty ridiculous...I know from experience...but they can be hilarious too...except when they tell you that you look chubby...there is nothing funny about that.

Anonymous said...

Robert, that sounds HILARIOUS! So glad to hear that people are out there being creepily personal and inappropriately touching one another. Awesome.

And Hannah, girlllllllll, there IS nothing funny about that. Twelve-year olds are so finicky.

nicole. said...

blog hopping... and stumbled up on yours (from a comment left on mine - who had linked up yours... phew).

subbing is HARD.... it sounds like you have FUN while doing it. congrats. that is an accomplishment in itself.

i am a teacher. i fear kindergartners {and truth be told first graders too}. second graders are cool - especially because you dont have to STATE TEST them ;) bu third and fourth graders are the coolest.

;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...