Thursday, March 24, 2011

little victories

In hard times – whether emotional, physical, economical or what-have-you – I’ve found that it’s important to celebrate the little victories. Sure, I feel a bit lost. And okay, sure, sometimes I feel sad. Nonetheless, I have joys and successes out the yin-yang that, minor as they may be, deserve appreciation and recognition.

So, to cheer myself up last night, I sat down with a dry-erase board, several multi-colored markers and wrote out a quick list of things I’m grateful for, including but not limited to:

Food

Shelter

My health and abilities

Family

Friends, both near and far

Clark
The love of my life in dog-form? Check.

Pete
I felt obligated to include him on this list, but I think we all know how I actually feel about him.

My car
Well, vehicle I suppose is a more appropriate word since it's an SUV, not a car... Anyway, piece of shit that it is, it gets me from Point A to Point B, right?

Music
Seriously…where would I be without it? I physically need the likes of Relient K, Jason Mraz, John Mayer, Incubus, 3OH!3, Mat Kearney, Chris Brown, Minus the Bear, etc.? They speak to me. They move me. ‘Nough said.

Mitch
Yep. Still. Because of things like this.

Zero credit card debt
This one gets to be in bold because clicking the "pay remaining balance" button is one of the best feelings in the world. HALLELUJAH. Also, fuck you, Discover.

Reese’s peanut butter cups
I’ve moved on from the Chips Ahoy.

God
Duh.

The fact that Eye of the Tiger just came on my iPod.
Score. And FYI it's totes on my Motivational Playlist. I like to jam to the MP while getting psyched for things I'd usually be nervous about (ie. tests, interviews, basic daily interactions).

Books
My taste in literature ranges from the classics to the trashiest of teen novels. Oh, and my favorite book of all time? The Giver by Lois Lowry. I read it when I was eleven and I’ve read it at least once every since then. If you haven’t already, read it.

Having (multiple) jobs
Yes, jobs. Plural. I’m so grateful that I’m able to substitute teach and do school photography. Even though neither of these allow me to work full time or support myself (like, enough to where I can move out? Yea...womp womp...), I really enjoy what I get up for every morning and, hey, it pays the few bills I have. And as of a couple days ago, I’m officially hired as a camp counselor for the summer here in Grapevine. :)

Getting that phone call on Tuesday is really what started the wheels in my head a-turnin’. I’d been stressed about the approaching summer months – what was I going to do about money? Both subbing and photography are seasonal so when school lets out, I was going to be shit outta luck, economically-speaking, June through August. Panic. But no more! No more panicking! I feel really blessed to have gotten hired so early that I now don’t have to worry about if I’ll be able to take care of myself during the summer.

Fist pumps for the little victories, y’all. Sometimes they’re all we (ahem, I) have, but sometimes they’re all we need to get by. Right? Besides, I know I won’t have to "just get by" forever.

To quote Beck: I’m a driver. I’m a winner. Things are gonna change, I can feel it.

Holla.

5 comments:

Laura Darling said...

I'm glad things are looking up for you, and also that you enjoy Chips Ahoy because listen, there is nothing like eating a sleeve of Chips Ahoy to cheer you up.

Congrats on the summer job. I have family in Grapevine...too funny!

Kaitlin Godfrey said...

Yay for your summer job!! And when I clicked on the previous Pete/underwear post I laughed my ass off in my little dark cubicle at work. This is the story of my life--with my pup. What a perv.

TriGirl said...

I love that you wrote your list on a dry erase board with multicoloured markers! Such a teacher thing :)

Glad you're finding the positive in everything!

Unknown said...

You're fantastic, and this list is pretty fantastic. I'm very, very jealous that you have no credit card debt. That deserves to be bold, capitalized, and in a really big font, actually.

I'm sure you've heard plenty of "it will get better"s, so I'm not going to say that. But I will say that you are a wonderful blogger, friend, and person. You deserve happiness in life, and I think that you really will get it, and soon!

xoxoxoxo,
Joelle

TriGirl said...

Hello again, friend! I want to let you know that i'm awarding you the Stylish Blogger award...so if you're interested come on by and grab it :) i hope you had a good weekend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...