Saturday, January 22, 2011

dinner of champions

Growing up I hated Red Bull.

You know, the energy drink? During middle school and the early years of my high school career, my mom worked for the promotional company in charge of getting people psyched about Red Bull. We had cases all over the house because, duh, they were free. I long to go back to a time filled with free Red Bull because, well, I'm addicted. I used to think it tasted like Sweet Tarts mixed with tin foil, but now? Now it tastes like everything that's right with the world.

Too much?

This week has been a particularly busy one, work-wise, and I ended up having three (practically) all day shoots in a row. You don't realize how physical photo shoots are until you find yourself setting up and then breaking down stand after stand after stand after stand, hauling heavy tripods to and from location, running back and forth between the gym and the cafeteria because the schedule is too tight (read: impossible) and you need to be in two places at once. Not to mention all the crowd control, posing, and screaming. It's just a lot of work, okay? You get in the car when the last light has been loaded and the day is finally done and you realize: oh my god, I could pass out right here, right now.

That's how I felt Thursday night after the second shoot of the week: totally and completely exhausted. However, for the better part of a year, I've had a standing Thursday night date with my friend Kelsey (and her fiancé - ahhhhhh! - Harrison) who lives in Uptown. It started out as just getting together to watch Jersey Shore (judge away, please), but even after season 2 ended, we kept on with what had become something of a weekly ritual. Now that Mitch has moved back to Dallas and season 3 of the Jerz is upon us, it's become more of a weekly double date. Beverages ranging from cocktails to Sangria to bags of Franzia (don't deny it, Kelsey) followed by casual conversation and ending with an hour of DVRed Jersey Shore goodness come together to make one of my favorite evenings of the week.

Sidenote: you know what's awesome? Having couples friends. WHO KNEW. Don't get me wrong (and this is mostly directed to Mitch and I's single friends who I know secretly read my blog -- I'm on to y'all), I love my friends. Remember how bangin' I said they are? And I love Mitch's friends. I might even love Mitch's friends more than he does (shoutout to the Forneytown Boys, HEY-OH! and Trevor, too!). But having friends who are also a couple and who are also awesome has been a badass experience for us. It just had to be said.

End sidenote.

Basically all that's to say that this past Thursday I was tired, maybe a little too tired to make the forty minute drive out to Uptown. But when I texted Mitch saying, heyyyyy, sooooo, I don't want to bail on tonight, but..., his reply? Stick it out. Just drink a Red Bull.

Oh, hitting me in my weak spot. Well-played.

I couldn't very well bail after that. ALL I NEEDED WAS A RED BULL. OF COURSE. But you know what I also needed? Dinner. And, parents, since I also know y'all read this from time to time, can y'all PLEASE go grocery shopping soon? I really hate those granola protein bars and they're all we have to eat. I'LL STARVE FIRST. But instead of starving on Thursday, however, I decided the smart move was just to take some vitamins. Well, eat some vitamins.

Well, gummy vitamins.

Hello, beautiful.


I stuck the whole bottle in my purse and drove to Kelsey's apartment, chugging the aforementinoed Red Bull and eating handfuls of gummy vitamins. At one point I remember thinking, hey, maybe I should ration these, like, only eat one every mile? But then I realized that would be thirty vitamins and also, I'd only driven three miles and eaten eleven, so...that clearly wasn't going to happen.

Needless to say, I didn't restrain myself. I ate almost the entire bottle (they're 200% Vitamin D!) and had a great night. So great, in fact, that when I woke up at the crack of dawn the next morning for the next shoot and wanted to kill myself? I did the same thing.

Red Bull and a bottle of gummy vitamins. The new Wheaties?

8 comments:

Unknown said...

This post is exactly why I love your blog. I've also recently discovered the amazingness of gummy vitamins.

But Red Bull? Really? It makes me sick to my stomach just thinking about it. *Ugh* The only time Red Bull is ever good is when it's for grown ups i.e. when there's vodka in it. Or jager. That works too.

Thanks for being a witty reprieve from my dull day.

xoxo,
Joelle

TriGirl said...

Ok it's official. We're soul mates. Watching Jersey Shore with my husband is my dirty little secret. "It's T-SHIRT TIIIIIME!"

Anonymous said...

CABBBBSSSS ARE HEEEERREE!

TriGirl said...

That deserves a full fist pump!

Unknown said...

Telling your boss that you're going out for a "coffee" and doing shots with strangers instead only happens at The Shore (and I love it, obv).

Eating a jar of vitamin gummies while chugging Red Bull though is PRICELESS! I've never even heard of gummy vitamins. Perhaps that's another thing the stupid Canadian FDA won't let in (as well as my beloved Fruity Pebbles). I'll be keeping my eyes out for now on! Thanks for the tip!.

meg fee said...

lol, oh no. that can't be healthy.

but good for you for having so much work--so many shoots. huzahh!

and yes, 3x5 is my favorite john mayer song. period.

Sarah said...

UMMM Gummy Vitamimns?!? AMAZING! I'm slightly challenged when it comes to swallowing pills. Can't do it. And I'm 26. I chew advil caplets on the reg. I'm gonna have to purchase some of those ASAP!

Anonymous said...

Haha FORNEYBOYS! Believe that!
How could anyone NOT love us?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...