Wednesday, January 19, 2011

it's in the bag (blog crawl)

A Hasty Life

Today I'm participating in the It's In the Bag blog crawl put on by sweet Ashley over at A Hasty Life. Please excuse the poor quality of the pictures... I was forced to use my iPhone last minute since for some reason I can't seem to find a working camera anywhere in this house. And my parents and I are photographers. Riddle me that.

I'm not really a huge purse person. In fact I have yet to break down and actually purchase a big girl purse, preferring instead to stick to sling bags because I'm lazy and they are sooo comfortable to wear. And no hassle.

example: sling bags are great for wearing around Bourbon Street in that they leave both hands free for booze
(not picture: many beers)


example: sling bags are great for wearing while posing next to Wu Tang Klan graffitied dumpsters in Houston


example: sling bags are great for wearing while drunk dancing the night after college graduation while also wearing a man's sweater bought at a resale shop for exactly four dollars
(note: this is my friend Todd, and Mitch is totally okay with this picture; also, check out how much fun I'm having)



However, here is my current sling bag (a much beloved Christmas present from my favorite aunt, holla!):

I know y'all are way bummed this isn't a picture of me wearing it, but I don't have any yet. Womp womppp.


And now the good stuff: contents.


1. Always gots to be carrying my current read around with me because, hey, you never know when you're going to have some down time and need a book. As of late I'm reading Righting the Mother Tongue: From Olde English to Email, the Tangled Story of English Spelling by David Wolman. Judge all you want, this book is awesome.

2. I have a (possibly rational?) fear of smelling bad, which has lead me to carry both deodorant and body spray with me at all times.

3. Three sticks of Burt's Bees chapstick. I don't know why I have so many in here.

4. The Vera Bradly wallet my grandmother gave me several Christmases ago. Love it.

5. Annnnd of course, the matching Vera Bradley sunglasses case because I like to look like a tool but mostly because my grandmother loves everything to match.

6. Ironic proof of my totally reasonable obsession with Taco Bueno. I'm not even embarrassed.

7. Fingerless gloves. I have no idea why I even bother carrying these. If it's cold enough for gloves, it's cold enough for my fingers to be gloved too. I don't understand myself.

8. Keys with an unnecessary amount of keychains.

9. Typed notes from Monday night's obedience school class. Don't worry, I didn't take the time to type these. Matthew Broderick did.

10. My trusty planner. Never leave home without it.

11. iPhone charger because I can't seem to remember to charge my phone when I'm home and it's convenient.

12. Lotion. Pen. Tampon (duh). A tiny sample bottle of Kim Kardashian's perfume which I swear was sent to me free in the mail. It only smells okay.

13. My iPhone, Gad (not pictured since it was used to take these stunning photographs).


I know that was pretty exciting, y'all, so thanks for keeping your shit together long enough to make it all the way to the end. But seriously, thanks for stopping by and be sure to check out yesterday's participant, Caroline, over at Simply Smithwick!


PS: Get so excited for tomorrow's poster: my friend Alex, the lovely lady behind Mutual Weirdness. Yay Alex! :)

12 comments:

Ashley Hasty said...

I love your vera bradley!! Now be honest, that book is really good? I have to admit...it doesn't sound great. But I know the cover (and title) of books are often misleading. Do you really recommend it?

<3 Ashley
www.ahastylife.com

Alex said...

You better believe I'm taking a sling purse to Mardi Gras this year because they really are so convenient for holding many drinks!! And whoop for Fish Camp keychains.

k said...

Burts bee's is a staple in mine!! Well, in my coat pocket anyway :)

Anonymous said...

Ashley, it really is good! I mean, it's all about the history of the English language, so...haha. I'm a bit of a word/linguistics nerd, though, so it's interesting to me at least!

TriGirl said...

Andrea, not to sound creepy, but there are some more similarities coming out between us:

1. I avoid big girl purses (though I prefer to stuff things in my pockets and coats

2. I got a degree in linguistics.

TriGirl said...

Just looked a bit closer:

3. I love Burt's Bees

4. I have fingerless gloves (and wear stretchy cotton gloves under them to keep my fingers warm--ridiculous, right?)

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

I love sling bags but only have one. It's perfect for traveling!

I think the book sounds interesting! And you are smart with the deodorant. There's nothing worse than forgetting to put some on in the morning haha!!

Anonymous said...

Julie, I think I'm coming to terms with the fact that we JUST MIGHT BE the same person. In fact, I think that's kind of awesome, hahaha. :)

Danielle (elleinadspir) said...

We have about 20 burts bees around the house. Love them. And your gloves are adorable. You also got me eity the M.B. comment, I had to click and read that post. Beautiful dog!!

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yvEYKRF5IA

Watch said video to understand why I enjoyed the fingerless glove part. Also, i find it hilarious that you took the time to sort and document the contents of your bag. Free time much?

Suzanne Anas Jurich said...

I love sling bags! Definitely a necessity when on Bourbon! I used to live there and the one time I took a clutch, I left it on a table and it got stolen! :)

Cat said...

The book you're reading sounds awesome...I'm buying it in my next round of Amazon purchases. Have you ever read "The Mother Tongue:English and how it got that way" by Bill Bryson? It's a winner.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...